Thursday 5 March 2015

Day 6 Italy and me

Day 6.... Are we there already? Where did the time go?

Today we went to Montagnana. It is a medieval city with the original walls surrounding the city. It was quite a beautiful site.


We came here to look around and to have lunch. It was what they call market day and there were many vendors spread about the main square. We walked around looking at the vendors and stopped for lunch. Lunch was an amazing bowl of Bigoli pasta in a delicious ragu. How have I never tasted this pasta before? We sure don't know what good pasta is. It's sad really.



Dinner time 

I think one of the things I love the most is that eating out for dinner in Italy is a completely different experience than you get at home.

I guess we can start with the time. We and I say that as in me and most of the people I know, eat dinner let's say starting at 5 to the max 7 because having dinner at 7 at night would be considered late. In my family dinner was typically 5:30. Here in Italy you better fill your stomach full at lunch because dinner starts at 8.

When we sit down at a restaurant and you ask for a glass of water you get either a bottle of regular water or sparkling water. There is no tap water and no free refills, anywhere. I have yet to see a fountain pop.

Tonight's dinner. I have to say I have never seen anything like this in Edmonton or in Canada for that matter. A dinner of grilled meat. Not like any bbq I have had, this is grilled over fire like you would on an outdoor campfire. The taste is beyond amazing. A plate of pork chops, sausages, chicken, ribs, pancetta and polenta.



Next comes a plate of fries. Now as plain as a plate of fries sounds these are probably the best fries you can imagine. To me they taste as though they are cooked in fresh oil everytime. Hot fresh crispy and made to order. Yum! Grilled vegetables that are just fantastic. A truly amazing dinner.



Finish this all off with nothing else but
Espresso 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts